Sunday, October 21, 2007

From Lisbon to London

(European sky at dawn, taken in July 2007)

Trip nya adalah: Rio-Lisbon-London Heathrow. Nyampe London jam 10.45 pagi. Berhubung ga punya jaket dan stok sweater terbatas, begitu nyampe London langsung belanja2 sedikit, either di Heathrow atau di deket2 King’s Cross station. Luggage bisa dititipin di locker selama belanja. Nukerin Pounds nya juga udah dilebihin supaya bisa beli jaket. Abis itu baru dengan santai2 menuju Newark. Diperkirakan nyampe sore2.

Oh well, itu RENCANA ideal-nya. Kenyataannya adalah…

Pesawat dari Rio telat nyampe Lisbon. I missed my flight yang ke London Heathrow. Keadaan di airport Lisbon kacau banget, miskin informasi dan orang2 antri panjang di mana2. Ternyata banyak pesawat TAP yang telat jadi semua connection kacau. Langsung memutuskan kalo harus bayar sendiri ga bakal naik TAP. Antri nyaris 3 jam sebelum bisa ngomong sama perwakilan nya TAP buat request ganti tiket. Abis itu harus nunggu 45 menit lagi buat dapet kepastian, itu pun ke London Gatwick, bukan Heathrow spt tiket awal. Orangnya meyakinkan kalo luggage ikut bareng aku ke Gatwick.

Sama orang TAP sebagai pengobat bete dikasih kartu telpon internasional sama voucher snack di restoran. Bete terobati dikit karena bisa nelpon Sherwood Apartment ngasih tau kalo datengnya ntar telat. Dan juga masih punya sisa pulsa dikit buat nelpon Tante Rina bentar.

On the second flight, I decided to sleep. So tired, jet lag dan capek bo ngantri berjam2, capek fisik dan capek hati. Lagian ntar kan pas di kereta ga boleh tidur, musti jagain laptop.

Arrived in London Gatwick on time. As what I’ve been afraid of, luggage ku ga ada.Hiks… my nightmare comes true. Bareng sama satu orang ibu2 (sama dari Brazil), kita complain dan submit report. Diduga keras (sama orang airport yang udah biasa ngurus ginian), luggage kita masih di Lisbon. GRR… mo marah2 sama orang TAP.

Akhirnya, there’s nothing more we can do, selain submit report dan berharap luggage bakal dikirim besok.

Aku misah sama Ibu2 itu, dan mulai naik kereta menuju Newark sekitar jam 17.50. Sebab hari udah mulai malem juga sih, takut ketinggalan kereta terakhir.

Gawat juga nih:

No jacket, it’s getting late and it’s getting very cold. It’s not possible to do shopping now due to two reasons: first, I have to catch my trains, and second, it’s Sunday; most stores are already closed.
I need to take a shower. But all my toiletries are in the luggage.
My lock cable for laptop is in the luggage.
My coveralls, boots, helmet, etc are in the luggage. And also are my handbook and my other books. How am I going to start my school tomorrow without all these things?
I haven’t rehearsed the presentation. What if my turn is tomorrow?
I haven’t read enough material for maintenance evaluation. What if we have a test tomorrow?
I don’t have the British three-pin plug. How can I charge my laptop battery?
And in confusions, I suddenly forgot the PIN for my Indonesian mobile number and now the number is blocked cause I entered the wrong PIN three times.

Ok, basically, I’m in a deep shit.

So you know what happen in the end? To get to Newark, I had to change trains twice. First time, I had 15 minutes. I found a shop that sell jacket and was running like crazy picking up jackets. I picked one without thinking much, very crazyyy!! I didn’t even know if it’s cheap or expensive, good or bad. One thing only: it so cold here, I need a jacket!! So it was 5 minutes shopping and 10 minutes half running for the next train.








And then, in King’s Cross, the same thing, I found a small shop, bought soap and shampoo (without looking at the brand at all!! Hehe) and was running here and there to find the platform!
Geez, what an experience… Tapi syukurlah, terjadinya di negara yang setidaknya bahasanya aku ngerti.

Akhirnya, nyampe di Newark jam 20.30. Nelpon this contact person from Sherwood Apartment, he said he’ll meet me there in 5 minutes. Took a taxi, a bit surprised soalnya supir taksi nya ibu2 tua gitu (udah hampir nenek-nenek).

Arrived in apartment, safe and sound. Guess what, contact person (org yang tanggung jawab) sama apartemen kita namanya Reza, and yesss… he is INDONESIAN. Ya ampuun kebetulan banget!!!!

I will be living here with three other girls from my company. They are from Algeria, Angola, and Mexico.

I pray that everything will be ok tomorrow in school. No test, no presentation, no practicals, just lectures the whole day (am crossing my fingers for this!!)
Mudah2an luggage nyampe (kalo engga, gawat abis!)
Hopefully I’ll meet nice people here, have a good experience, and can do well in the school.

No comments: